Advocate for athlete welfare where every athlete is provided a safe and positive environment free of abuse, bullying and harassment.
Our vision is a society in which….
- coach-athlete sexual abuse and other forms of misconduct does not occur and, when it does, is immediately and effectively addressed
- victims of coach-athlete misconduct have a place they can go to for support and good information
- coaches engaging in sexual misconduct are banned from coaching athletes at any level
- the public is inspired by and knowledgeable about athletes who fight to remedy coach-athlete misconduct
- all sport organizations have effective policies and procedures governing coach-athlete sexual and other misconduct
- every state has effective laws dealing with coach-athlete sexual misconduct
- Coaches, parents, athletes, organization leaders and legislators working to eliminate inappropriate coach behaviors
- Strength of abused athletes in every sport and of every age, color, national origin, physical disability, race, religion and sexual orientation who seek help in dealing with this issue
- Strategic alliances with counselors, experts other organizations dealing with this issue
- Volunteers, contributors and staff who provide productive, expert and passionate support
- Encourage efforts by national sports organizations to develop online and other educational materials for parents, coaches and athletes on the issue of athlete welfare and safety
- Develop models and advocate for the adoption of coach codes of conduct and sports organization policies prohibiting professional misconduct
- Monitor and publish the results of surveys indicating the progress of sports organization regarding the adoption of coach-athlete misconduct policies and procedures
- Ensure that open amateur sports athletes have an effective appeal process in the event their local sports organizations are not capable of fair adjudication
- Monitor misconduct cases to ensure that guilty offending coaches are banned from continued work with athletes in other clubs and athletic organizations act sensitively and responsibly in handling athlete complaints
- Direct abused athletes to places where they can obtain professional help in dealing with psychological and other mental health issues
- Act as a clearinghouse to help parents and athletes find the resources they need to deal with their particular situations
- Sustain a social media initiative to connect concerned and/or abused athletes with Safe4Athletes advisers for the purpose of promoting policy advocacy and availability of referral services.
Goals and Objectives
GOAL #1 – NATIONAL ADVOCATE
To advocate for the adoption of athlete welfare and safety policies and laws that effectively address sports leader-athlete sexual abuse and other misconduct.
GOAL #2 - EXPERT EDUCATOR
To develop educated coaches, sports organization staff, athletes, parents and volunteers committed to preventing and addressing coach-athlete sexual abuse and other forms of misconduct.
GOAL #3 – COUNSELING RESOURCE
To assist athletes affected by coach-athlete sexual abuse and other misconduct to access counseling and receive fair adjudication.
GOAL #4 - SUCCESSFUL FUNDRAISER
Acquire the resources necessary to achieve organizational objectives.
GOAL #5 - EXCELLENT STEWARD
Manage internal resources in a cost effective manner to ensure service quality and the public’s trust